Friday, February 25, 2011

Trashcan Sinatras "...in the music, we rise above..."

I discovered Trashcan Sinatras all those years ago probably when I was watching MTV's 120 Minutes in my college dormitory. I still have that original cassette of "Cake" I bought way back when. I admit that I lost track of them until I saw them at SXSW in 2004. That same year, they released their album, "Weightlifting". It was one of my favorite records from that year. Their most recent release is "In The Music" which was released in the US in 2010. These Scots continue their tradition of writing infectious yet carefully crafted pop tunes. They've cast their musical net beyond the catchy, jangle pop tunes for which they first became known for. They've added some old school soul, jazz, and folk into the mix. But they still retain their signature sound that makes them unique. Those clear, sparkling guitars, lush harmonies, and Frank Reader's distinctive lead vocals that are like a warm, comforting hug (at least for me anyway). It's been over 6 years since TCS were in Austin. I couldn't think of a better place than the Cactus Cafe for their upcoming acoustic show on March 5th as part of their 20th anniversary tour. If you're eager to hear a particular song at this show, you can e-mail (requests@trashcansinatras.com - put "song requests" in the subject line) your requests to the band and they will include some of those songs in that show’s set list. Local musician, Shane Bartell, opens the show which is perfect since I recall that he is definitely a devoted fan of the TCS. This show should be quite a treat. You leave a TCS show feeling loved or at least with a little reassurance that things are going to be alright. And you can take comfort in the lyric I mention above, "...in the music, we rise above...". in the music

naked to the world i came naked i will leave shadow fall behind me sunlight up ahead i fill the in between

naked to your love i climb naked i succeed you hold me in your arms i’ll hold you in mine we’ll fill the in between

with the music that we make in love in the music

we rise above

we get lost we get powerful we know what to do now we get down and in every way i’m always making love with you

let’s make it til the end of time let’s make it all we need let the music fill our lives and in each other’s eyes find everything we need

in the music that we make in love in the music we rise above

and now i’m naked to the flame curled into you and naked i believe let the timeless everything that we make naked melt into the harmony of love

in the music that we make in love in the music in the rhythm rising up in the rhythm rising up we rise above we rise above

http://trashcansinatras.com/lyrics/in-the-music-lyrics/ Here are videos for 3 songs from "In The Music" http://do512.com/event/2011/03/05/trashcan-sinatras-and-shane-bartell

No comments:

Post a Comment