Monday, January 24, 2011

Free Energy with The Postelles and The Midgetmen at Emo's, Feb 2nd

I've been looking forward to this show since this tour was announced late last year. Free Energy released their album, Stuck On Nothing, in early 2010 but I didn't discover them for myself until last October when I went to see Hollerado open for them at The Mohawk. I went into their set without any expectations and left a new fan. Their songs and stage presence touched on things that I appreciate : catchy melodies, spot-on harmonies, crunchy guitars, having fun onstage, and making sure the audience enjoyed themselves and left with a smile. I last saw The Postelles at SXSW 2009. I can't remember how I first heard of them but I've enjoyed their catchy brand of garage rock/power pop/Motown soul. They've had countless comparisons to The Strokes (Strokes member Albert Hammond Jr produced their first album). That comparison is not entirely off-base. To my taste, they capture the sunnier sounding, upbeat side of The Strokes. As for The Midgetmen, although they've been around Austin for years, I haven't ended up at any of their shows (except for their set at a recent Neil Young Hoot Night). I've only listened to a few of their songs. But based on what I've heard, they're a perfect fit to join the bill with Free Energy and The Postelles. I think this show is going to be a great excuse to shake off any winter blues. Yes, it's on a Wednesday night but sometimes you just need a reason to allow yourself to smile, dance, and sing along. Free Energy sings about it clearly and simply in their song, "Hope Child", "We broadcast hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment