Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Pons at The Ghost Room, Sat Dec 11th with STEREO IS A LIE and Red Falcon

 Despite the number of shows I've seen in Austin over the past couple of years, somehow I had never crossed paths with The Pons. About a year ago, that changed when I heard their song "Giant" played on WOXY and saw them perform at Beauty Bar. As a fan of catchy and smart pop/rock, for me it was love at first sight and listen. While I was playing catch up with enjoying their debut album, In The Belly Of A Giant, the band has spent 2010 writing and recording their sophomore follow up, The Blackest Shine, with Erik Wofford (his credits include The Black Angels, What Made Milwaukee Famous, Explosions In The Sky, Voxtrot, Brothers And Sisters, The Octopus Project) at Cacophony Recorders. The Blackest Shine is expected to be released early next year - no set release date at this time.
I know that The Pons are looking forward to showing off their new songs as well as playing favorites from their first album. Their songs reflect a range of emotions : sweet and light,  dark and moody, and shades in between. I also have a soft spot for harmonies, melodies, and hooks that stay in your head. Chances are you'll hear these songs in your head when you least expect it and once "The Blackest Shine" is released, don't be surprised if you find yourself hitting the repeat button. Yes, that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

For this Saturday's show at The Ghost Room, The Pons will be joined by friends from STEREO IS A LIE and Red Falcon. An all around fantastic local triple bill. $6 (21 +, sorry kids).

The Pons - 11:30
STEREO IS A LIE - 10:30
Red Falcon - 9:30


$6 for 3 bands on a Sat night is a pretty good deal but if one lucky winner and a guest would like to go for *FREE* (courtesy of whitesiren), send me an email at jenleduc@hotmail.com with "The Ghost Room" in the subject line and I will choose a winner on Friday.




Below I've posted videos from their June 26, 2010 performance at The Ghost Room : 2 new songs, Death of the Peacock and Someone Else's Voice along with their amped up cover of Wreckless Eric's, Whole Wide World. Videos were filmed by ATXLive.








Vote for this event on Do512.

Listen to the title track and rough mixes from "The Blackest Shine"














No comments:

Post a Comment